Wednesday, April 09, 2008

When Life Hands You Lemons

When life hands you lemons you make lemonade. When life hands you cherries… well you put them in the lemonade. Oftentimes when life hands me cherries I am very cautious because sometimes lemons can be disguised as cherries.

In the good old days, days of lazy summers and walking barefoot in the snow uphill both ways, life was simpler. Bad things were hidden away so well that you never knew about them and “Gomer’s Pyle” would bring hysterical laughter and some nervous tittering from prepubescent children. I don’t know about you but I was blissfully ignorant as a child. I was one of those children tittering over “Gomer’s Pyle.” Bad things only happen to bad people.

Now bad things have become a daily event. Bad things happen and they appear to be happening frequently. The first tragedy is often children. Gone are the days of the “Titanic” when women and children were boarded first on a life raft. Now it is a mad rush and when you are so small you are the first to become crushed.

I don’t have answers. Today has been a day of questions with no answers. Today has been a day of thought.

Truthfully I am so indecisive that I am not able to give answers or solutions. I am totally without an opinion which is the first time I can claim that. It isn’t a victory either.

What I do have is the unconditional love and support for my children, my family, and my friends. That is all I have to give. That is all I will give.

I am going to make some lemonade with cherries and I will raise my glass and make a toast to my child and say “I support you, I love you, and I am with you. Stop the insane 80 hours a week at work, focus on healing yourself, and breathe. Just breathe. I am, always will be, proud of you.”

Tomorrow (which I think is right now) is cleaning, packing and Thursday will be moving on day. We found a quiet place in the country, away from screaming sirens, and uptight people. Mom and I are just not city people and we like our time spent in wide open places. Don’t worry kids I should have cell phone service.

Until later.



0 comments:

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...