Friday, May 30, 2008

Does Size Matter

I accomplished a major goal this past week. I bought a swimsuit. The last swimsuit I bought was many, many, many years ago and it was a traumatic experience, one I promised myself I would never repeat. Time has a habit of easing the memory and that is why I found myself at the mall trying on swimsuits. I plucked a one piece off the rack and went into the dressing room to try it on.

I looked like a sausage with legs.

Undaunted I came out of the dressing room to find another one. I saw a tag on a black swimsuit that promised to make me look 10 pound lighter. Of course the second tag was the price tag of $150. Shoot, I need that money to fill up my tank so it went back on the rack.

I decided to try on a Tankini. I found the bottoms in my size and then I had a choice of what top I wanted. I picked out two in my size and off to the dressing room I went. The bottoms fit but the top didn’t.

I went through 15 different tops trying to find one that fit. Normally I would have left the store in tears halfway through this ordeal. I would go home, put on my fat clothes, a bag over my head, and feel unattractive for days but I persevered and continued on, even though I felt my self esteem slipping away. I ended taking every size top available to the dressing room and finally the largest one fit. It was a size 3X. I have never worn a 3X in my life!

When I took the swimsuit to the cashier to pay for it, I thought I wonder what the bra size is on this. 48 Quadruple DD - DANG I have outdone Dolly Parton.

Why can’t there be a consistency in women’s sizes?

Mom walked into the mall today, picked up a swimsuit, tried it on and it fit. Just like that. Sometimes that woman just bugs me.

Location:  Tucson

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The second worst thing is having to buy new jeans. UGH! Thanks for the morning giggle...from someone who needs a new bathing suit. LOL!

Anonymous said...

&$%@ swimsuit shopping! but thank the lord you were there. I'm glad I had someone to cuss with.

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...