Saturday, April 10, 2010

Update

We made it! We are in Prairie Village, the little house is parked in my daughter’s drive way, and I have internet! We plan to spend the night in the van in the driveway. I just hope the yard nazi (hoa lady) doesn’t know we are sleeping in there.

Mom and I decided the only way to beat the wind is to get up before it… which is pretty darn early. Then we started stopping on the way and the wind caught up with us. Our first stop in our journey to Robert and Hannah’s house was at the 19 story cross located on Interstate 40 at Groom Texas. The cross can be seen up to 20 miles away. Surrounding the cross was sculptures of the Stations of the Cross. It was a wonderful stop.

The next pit stop was Erik Oklahoma the home of Roger Miller. On the way there mom and I were discussing him and the songs he wrote and sang. Then we got the words to the song “Dang Me” stuck in our heads. It didn’t help to hear the song being played while in the museum. It didn’t leave my head until the next day. Anyway, back to the museum, it was a worthwhile stop. Everything you didn’t about Roger Miller and did know was there in that tiny little museum. Erik is also home to Sheb Wooley. He is best known for the song “Purple People Eater.” He took Roger Miller under his wing and was instrumental in his development.

We spent the night at Elk City Oklahoma at a little RV park off of the interstate. I asked the lady where the best place to eat and she sent us to Ed's Katy Diner located in the old depot. I fell off the diet because the special was homemade fried chicken (three pieces) mashed potatoes (with just the right amount of lumps) green beans with onion and bacon and then a piece of peach pie. $4.99 and I took half of it home for supper. I didn’t want gravy because I am an odd duck that doesn’t like her food mixing and mingling. Of course we had to go back the next day. I didn’t eat dessert that time. We also found the Route 66 Museum in Elk City and spent half a day there. It was another fun stop. We knew when we got as far as El Reno Oklahoma that night we need to stop stopping. This morning we got up before the wind and took off for Prairie Village. We passed at least 20 cemeteries and more than a dozen neat old towns so we will be back when we are not in a hurry.

To view my Groom Texas Pictures, Click Here

To view my Elk City Pictures, Click Here

2 comments:

Rojo said...

Dont you just hate those HOA people. they make my butt wanna take a dip of snuff

Rojo

Al Bossence said...

I'm glad there is odd ducks in the world....

Enjoy your visit with your family.

Kelly

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...