Saturday, July 17, 2010

Mackinac Island, Michigan

This morning mom and I caught a ferry that took us to Mackinac Island.  On the way to the island we saw the bridge also known as Big Mac.  It is 5-miles long and takes you to the upper peninsula.  That is a place I would like to see but I am going to save that for another trip.  One thing you learn really fast is you can’t see it all. 

Mackinac Island is simply beautiful.  Yes it is another tourist trap but it has a lot of charm and character.  I like the fact that motorized vehicles are not allowed.  You can bring a bike or rent one.  You can also rent a horse or a horse and carriage.  Mom and I took a carriage with several others.  It was a fun way to see parts of the island.  I plan to come back on Monday and hike the island.  I want to see the highest point, the cemetery, and several other sights not covered in the carriage ride. 

One of the places we visited was the butterfly house.  Mom has never been in one and she was wearing the perfect color – red.  She had them swarming her. 

As usual I took to many pictures and I have organized them in three categories.  I think I need to leave my camera at home. 

When we returned to the campground we put our things up and headed down to the beach area to listen the band, The Old Geezers.  They let you know they are not “heavy metal” but “tired iron.”   Mom left early but I stuck around for the show. 

All in all – this has been a fun day!
Click here for pictures of the town.

twns (2) twns (3)
twns (4) twns (5)
twns (6) twns (1)

3 comments:

Al Bossence said...

I can identify with that 'tired iron' thought. I think Kelly has been to Mackinac Island & I have been over the bridge between Canada & the U.S. I think. Long time ago.

Lynilu said...

DON'T leave the camera behind!!!!!!!!!

Excuse me, please don't leave the camera behind.

Liz said...

I live on Mackinac year-round. Glad to hear you are enjoying your visit!

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...