Wednesday, September 08, 2010

alrightokuhhuhamen

DSC_0071 After we finished exploring Ashland Ohio, we decided to spend two days just hanging out at the campground.  It was Labor Day weekend and the place was packed!  There were horse rides, hay rides, parades, scavenger hunts…. it was a lot of fun to sit and watch.  We met our neighbors and enjoyed visiting with them off and on.  I usually try to avoid KOAs because of the cost but the Butler Mohican KOA cost as much as the rest of the campgrounds in the area.  It was a beautiful place.  Those with a big rig will white knuckle it to the park because the roads to the park is a little curvy, hilly, and at times down right intimidating.  There are also Amish on the road.  I am so happy I live in a van.  I got right back on the roads and had a blast. 

We did visit the Bunker Hill Cemetery and the Ohio Memorial Shrine on our way to Brookeville Ohio.  We drove the back roads to Brookeville and went through some beautiful country.  Yes Hannah, there is something peaceful about acres and acres of corn.  It is never boring.  Between corn fields are beautiful old homes and quaint old towns.  Not to mention the churches and the cemeteries.  The history is always fascinating to me.

One of the towns we explored was Widowville Ohio.  Named because of all theDSC_0077 wives left as widows during the Civil War.  There are towns that are now villages and some towns that are just memories.  Each of the towns I visited or drove through has a story and a past.  Sometimes I get lucky and I find the stories or I will just walk the quiet main streets making up my own stories.  Those I will never put on my blog. 

It is the same as walking through a cemetery.  Each of those stones holds a piece of a person’s past.  It is interesting to read those stones and look up names.  I haven’t really gone to a cemetery to find someone other than family.  I like to just drive and discovered them on my way to wherever it is I am going.  Today I drove with the intention of finding someone.  I have always loved the music of Rich Mullins.  I knew he was raised in Richmond Indiana and buried in Hollansburg Ohio.  That is where we went today.  Once again I drove through acres of corn and I found myself at peace.  I love to drive through farm land I guess.  I did find him and I did say “thanks” as well as “alrightokuhhuhamen”.

Tomorrow I will be cleaning the van, washing windows, and doing some printing.  Then on the 10th we will be visiting a cousin that lives in Franklin.  It is going to be a great ending to a wonderful week.

Enjoy the pictures.

Click here for pictures of the Bunker Hill Cemetery.

Click here for pictures of the Ohio Memorial Shrine.

Click here for Mt. Gilead Ohio Cemetery.

Click here for New California Ohio Church and Cemetery.

Click here for Ithaca Ohio Church and Cemetery.

Click here for Hollansburg Ohio Cemetery

 

DSC_0020 DSC_0060
DSC_0090 DSC_0115
DSC_0001 DSC_0055

0 comments:

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...